MCCCC has a number of vacancies at its Dunstan Reserve centre (Everett Street, Brunswick West) in the three to four-year-old age group. MCCCC offers an integrated kindergarten program delivered by fully qualified kindergarten teachers.
The MCCCC believes a positive attitude towards and appreciation of the environment should be fostered from early childhood.
Sustainability is one of five key focus areas in the MCCCC’s strategic plan. We promote a holistic approach to environmental education, which involves policy, play experiences and strategies for working with children, staff and parents.
The aim of the sustainability strategy is to embed sustainability within our educational programs and operations across all three sites and engage with both families and the wider community in implementing sustainable practices into our everyday lives.
We aim to:
- Improve environmental outcomes
- Create a safe environment for children, educators, staff and families
- Reduce greenhouse emissions
- Reduce waste going to landfill.
ResourceSmart is a Victorian Government initiative that helps schools and early learning centres become more sustainable by reducing their costs and creating real-life learning opportunities.
Schools take action to minimise waste, save energy and water, promote biodiversity and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. MCCCC aims to be ResourceSmart accredited by 2017 and to become the first five-star ResourceSmart early learning centre.
Actions currently underway include:
- Reducing energy use
- Reducing water use
- Reducing waste and better waste management
- Using only biodegradable products where possible and significantly reducing the use of plastics
- Composting food waste on site
- Switching to green power
- Installing solar panels
- Collaborating with Moreland Council and Positive Charge
- Encouraging parents to ride their bikes, walk, car-pool, or use other more-sustainable alternative to car travel
- Encouraging staff to reduce, re-use, recycle and repair wherever possible
- Ensuring we use environmentally responsible cleaning products
- Modelling and teaching children about recycling
- Being active members of Environmental Education in Early Childhood Victoria (EEEC).